Hand towels with crocheted tops are an essential item in every kitchen. I am not an expert, but I know enough to crochet the tops on hand towels. I learned to crochet the tops on hand towels by watching my mom. They make a great gift for Christmas or birthdays.
Pamper yourself; crochet a set of kitchen towels for your own kitchen.
Exodus 39:29 The sashes were made of fine linen cloth and embroidered with blue, purple, and scarlet yarn, just as the Lord had commanded Moses.
Things needed to crochet tops on hand towels:
- Hand Towels
- Yarn to match your towel
- Crochet hooks 1.5 mm & H
- A couple of straight pins
Instructions on crocheting tops on hand towels:
- Go to your nearest craft store for yarn and crochet hooks. The Dollar Stores have towels that work just fine for this project.
Fold your towel in ½ and pins the end together to keep it straight while crocheting your first row. I like to leave my towels whole verses cutting in ½ like some do. It makes it stronger and more versatile. One side gets stained turn it over.
- Use single crochet for the 1st row, by poking a hole in the towel, for each single crochet with the smallest crochet hook. The amount of sc will vary as the space in-be tween each sc. Chain 3 stitches and turn for next row.
- Change to larger hook, double crochet all the way across hitting every single crochet. Chain 3 and turn for next row.
- Skip the 1st double crochet, double crochet in next double croc het and all the way across the row. Chain 3 and turn for next row.
- You’re going to start reducing your stitches, double crochet in first hole, skip a hole, Double crochet in next hole. Repeat all the way across row. Chain 3 and turn for next row.
- Repeat step 6. This is should be your 5th row.; Put one double crochet in every single crochet stitch all the way across, chain 3 and turn for next row.
- Double crochet in 3 holes, skip the 4th hole and chain 3, insert in 5th hole and continue to double crochet remaining holes. Chain 3 and turn for next row.
- Double crochet 7 stitches in row 8. Chain 3 and turn for next row.
- Rows 9-13; Double crochet in every stitch all the way across, chain 3 and turn for next row.
- You are starting to increase your row, put 2 double crochets in every stitch all the way across. Chain 3 and turn for next row. Repeat the step 2 times.
- Put one single crochet in each stitch all the way to the end. Cut the yarn and make a slipstitch to tie it off. Tuck in the loose end.
Buying Dollar Store Towels are cheaper but not always quality. If you want this for someone special, you might want to buy a better towel when crocheting tops on hand towels.