While salt is a necessary part of a person's diet, unfortunately, packaged, processed and manufactured foods as well as fast foods usually come so loaded with salt, the foods are unhealthy. A healthy adult should only consume 1,500 and 2,300 mg of sodium a day.
Effects of Too Much Salt on Humans
Too much salt in a human's diet can lead to many health issues and diseases, and can even be deadly. Some of the effects of too much sodium intake in people includes:
- Fluid retention
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Renal disease
- Recent studies show a possible link between stomach cancer and high salt intake. (Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN) Salt and Health, page 18).
If you are 51 or older, or if you are black, or if you have high blood pressure, diabetes or chronic kidney disease, eating too much salt will be even more harmful for you. Interstingly, but not surprisingly, too much salt is also harmful to pets, other animals and plants.
According to the Mayo Clinic, there is no health difference between sea salt and regular table salt, except that table salt usually has necessary iodine in it. However, there are many good salt substitutes on the market now that make it easy to fix food at home without overdoing it on the sodium.
While you can choose to use salt substitutes at home, if you travel or your schedule forces you to frequently eat fast foods often, it is a good idea to seek healthier, low-salt alternatives than the typical burger and fries. Do you know where to find low-salt hamburgers?
The Top Five Fast-Food Places That Serve Low-Salt or No-Sodium Burgers
If you are looking for a low-sodium alternative, here are the top five burger joints where you can get a low-sodium or no-salt hamburger, listed in alphabetical order.
- Burger King -- Burger King told me they add no seasoning to any of their burgers, so all of their burgers contain no salt until the condiments are added.
- McDonald's -- McDonald's also says they can also fix burgers with no salt.
- Sonic -- Sonic will also specially prepare a no-salt burger when asked.
- Waffle House -- Waffle House will pop a burger on the grill without any salt or with light salt when requested.
- Wendy's -- Wendy's will cook a low-salt or no-salt hamburger upon request. Since the no-sodium burgers are fixed fresh upon request, there is often a short wait while they fix the burger.
These five fast-food restaurants will give you the option of ordering low salt and no-sodium burger alternatives when you are on the road.
Thank you for reading and sharing the link to this article. If you enjoyed this article, please share the link. This article is not available to copy and post to a website, discussion board, Facebook, or elsewhere. PLEASE DO NOT COPY THIS ARTICLE.